Create your own conference schedule! Click here for full instructions

The Virtual Conference is located at

Abstract Detail

Recent Topics Posters

Arbizu, Carlos [1], Chávez-Galarza, Julio [1], García, Aura L. [2], Guzman, Frank [2], Montenegro, Juan Daniel [3], Gutiérrez, Dina L. [2], Amasifuen Guerra, Carlos A. [2], Guerrero-Abad , Juan Carlos [2].

Genetic Diversity and Population Structure of a Collection of Peruvian Rocoto (Capsicum pubescens Ruiz & Pav.) Landraces With High Quality SNPs.

Capsicum includes five cultivated species: C. annuum, C. frutescens, C. chinense, C. baccatum and C. pubescens, which are popular vegetables in agriculture, gastronomy and globally economically important due to its taste, color, pungency, and nutritional values of the fruit. However, C. pubescens, known as "rocoto" in Peru, has received little scientific attention. This species is found between 1,200 to 3,000 masl in the Andean highlands between Peru and Bolivia, extending towards the north of Central America and Mexico, and differs from the others by the purple color of its flowers and by the dark color of its seeds. A total of 200 C. pubescens accessions from Arequipa and Huánuco regions in Peru maintained by Germplasm bank of INIA were successfully sequenced and genotyped by GBS, and using the TASSEL-GBS were identified 1,605 high-quality SNPs that mapped across the 12 chromosomes of C. pubescens with an average marker density of 1,700.76 kb per chromosome. STRUCTURE analysis clustered the rocoto accessions into four populations, and the principal coordinate analysis (PCoA) also depicted four clusters. Genetic diversity analysis revealed that the number of different alleles were similar. Allelic richness between the four clusters did not vary greatly either. Values of genetic diversity (i.e. expected heterozigosity) ranged from 0.307 to 0.371. Shannon-Wiener´s index varied from 3.0 to 4.42, indicating high diversity in all clusters. According to the inbreeding coefficient (Fis), all four clusters were estimated less than 0.35, reflecting low inbreeding within the cluster. In addition, the average coefficient of genetic differentiation (Fst) among the four clusters was 0.068. AMOVA revealed that the genetic variability between clusters was 8.07% while the rest (91.92%) was within clusters. In addition, the highest population divergence (Fst) was observed between clusters 2 and 3 (0.127), and the lowest between 1 and 2 (0.064). To our best knowledge, this is the first investigation employing molecular markers in C. pubescens considering its natural distribution, and helps pave the way towards its modern genetic improvement and its sustainable management in Peru.

Log in to add this item to your schedule

1 - Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria, Dirección de Desarrollo Tecnológico Agrario, Av. La Molina 1981, La Molina, Lima, Lima, 15024, Perú
2 - Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria, Dirección de Recursos Genéticos y Biotecnología, Av. La Molina 1981, La Molina, Lima, Lima, 15024, Perú
3 - University of Vienna, Department of Neurosciences and Developmental Biology, Athanstraße 14, Vienna, 1090, Austria

genetic diversity
population structure.

Presentation Type: Recent Topics Poster
Session: P1, Recent Topics Posters
Location: Virtual/Virtual
Date: Thursday, July 22nd, 2021
Time: 5:00 PM(EDT)
Number: P1RT017
Abstract ID:1407
Candidate for Awards:None

Copyright © 2000-2021, Botanical Society of America. All rights reserved